I love having toast for breakfast, but I haven’t been able to find a grain free bread. So, enter sweet potato toast. I love them because they are grain free while providing a healthy dose of complex carbohydrates. This means they won’t spike your blood sugar, and did I mention the toppings are endless?
So let’s get into the star of the show…
- Loaded with beta-carotene that is a great antioxidant and precursor to vitamin A
- 2X the fiber of regular potato, and as I always say, fiber is your friend! It helps keep you full and reduces inflammation
- Source of manganese which stabilizes blood sugar and balances appetite
- High levels of B6 and potassium, both of which are important in electrolyte balance
- Helps to reduce bad cholesterol and protect your arteries.
To make them, I slice a sweet potato length ways into slices and then bake them at 400F for 20 minutes. I store them in the fridge and then pop them in the toaster morning of and top it.
I like loading mine with healthy fats from either avocado or nut butter. Healthy fats help keep you full and let’s face it, taste oh so good. The topping possibilities are endless though. I have even put eggs on top before and it did not disappoint!
Have you tried sweet potato toast before?